Tuesday, August 6, 2013

I Dreamt of a Bus Terminal





I Dreamt of a Bus Terminal

                           Maybe all one can do is hope to end up
                           with the right regrets.
                                                                      Arthur Miller


I dreamt of a bus terminal
linoleum tenderized by soles, air staled
by souls

Aswarm with vacant visage that spoke
all language but mine - every sign alien
every word unimagined

Here and there a poster of a beach
or a mountain or the LA Airport Theme
Building here and there a diesel burble

The scrambled chatter - atteindre lograr erreichen
television amour amor liebe movie studios
famille familia familie

One long queue passed the time
stock-still intent on the departure gate
as if they had pre-determined goals

Preset direction
I waited among them and their intent
for somewhere to somewhere unknown

We rode for hours as black crabbed into the windows
and then the stops began
one by one each one ripe as blue pre-dawn

I chose a place amid the mercury shadows of palms
and stayed there a lifetime
to meet natives in pleats and ties- to find a purpose
with celluloid plow and celluloid scythe

Never quite sure where I was
where I had come from
what else I might have missed or why

                                #

No comments:

Post a Comment